June 24, 2011

Africa at last!

Yes, Plan A worked and the only real "time to spare" was waiting at Dubai airport.

Luckily, at the new Terminal 3, you do not have to walk or bus across the tarmac as the temperature when we arrived at 4am was 37 degrees centigrade!

The best shower is in the airport hotel's health club. They provide everything you need for $US14 - thanks for the tip Judith. I did not however see any gold teaspoons as I wandered from end to end of this amazing complex at the crossroads of the world.



From Dubai on to Nairobi . My first glimpse of Africa was the wide grass plains of Kenya stretching as far as the eye could see.
Three forms and $US10 later, having had my fingerprints and photo taken, I collected my luggage and began my adventure.

My transfer to the Kenya Comfort Inn was waiting just outside as the School had arranged. Even though it was about 4pm on Saturday the road to the city centre was crowded and the traffic often at a stand still.

There appeared to be no traffic lights or overhead bridges so those wanting to get across the six lanes of traffic to the other side of the road simply dodgged the oncoming cars. When we did stop, a range of hawkers would appear it seemed from nowhere carrying fruit, peanuts, bangles, pillows, toilet paper and all manner of things.

When I finally arrived at the hotel the friendly porter (below) told me "Kenya is a very safe country and I am here to protect you".

My superior room did indeed have a TV and a wardrobe as well as a bed and a flushing toilet. Next door there was a small supermarket where I bought mandarins, water, biscuits and mints for under $4.

I had a very early night and was the first person to breakfast in the hotel at 6am. Amazing how many unusual methods of cooking eggs in the world there are . I am pretty sure mine had been fried and baked and then perhaps grilled.

It was then only a few metres to the bus stop to board the shuttle to Arusha due to leave at 8am. Unfortunately, the bus ahead of us had a minor accident as it pulled out from the curb. So, after much ado, the passengers and luggage from that bus were loaded onto ours. There were 23 people on this bus with everyone's luggage on top.


Luckily, having arrived early, I had a window seat and all of us took it in good humour. Most of the road was sealed but, when we did have to take a detour, the driver would yell "open the windows" . This appeared to let the copious amounts of dust pass through the bus as we rocked and rolled along the corrugated tracks.

Along the way there was so much to see and take in as the dusty plains of Kenya gave way to the plantations and mountains of northern Tanzania.



                                                            the townships

                                    the Maasai in their colourful blankets and incredible jewellry


                                                           and their animals.

Six and a half hours later, having crossed the border without incident, I arrived in the oasis of Arusha. It is a garden city. Incredible.

I was met by four staff members and taken in a St Jude's bus to the Primary School campus where most of the international volunteers live.Everyone went out of their way to make me feel welcome over dinner. It is a wonderful community of people.

I was allocated room Red 20 which is simple, but more than adequate. I have a mosquito net over my bed, screens on the windows and an ensuite with a hot shower and a flushing toilet - pretty much luxury for these parts.


I am so very excited about everything that lies ahead.